Last Updated: P20191125SBL
This article describes how to find Thread on the App Store and install it. Also covered but rarely needed: how to delete Thread safely before performing a fresh install.
Find and install Thread for iPad
Thread on the App Store
On your iPad go to the App Store, search for Thread Learning, and download.
NOTE: if you're on a mobile device, the App Store will only show you compatible apps. You won't find us with your iPhone, for example. If you want to use Thread from a phone you'll need our web version. Read more...
Turn on auto-updates
This step is important! If you stay on the latest Thread version you'll always have the latest bug fixes and features.
- Go to your iPad's desktop and tap the iPad settings gear icon.
- Tap your name icon at the top, just under the Settings heading.
- On the right, tap iTunes & App Store
- Find the Updates switch and flip it on.
Delete and reinstall Thread safely
If you've been asked to delete and reinstall Thread due to a suspected problem, please follow these instructions to do it safely.
- In Thread tap the settings gear in the upper right corner.
- Tap Sign Out on the left column, then tap Sign Out. This step is for safety. If you have unsynced data you'll get a warning. Stop if this happens, go to an internet connection and let your data sync.
- Close Thread and find the Thread icon on your iPad.
- Touch and hold the Thread icon until it jiggles, then tap the x to delete it.
- If you were experiencing trouble, this is a great time to turn off your iPad for a minute and start fresh.
- Proceed to installation steps above